REVIEW (x4): Ben & Jerry’s Pint Slices

Have you ever seen one of those viral videos about how to hack your life and make the perfect ice cream sandwich?

I guess it just showed up in Ben & Jerry’s inbox.

Ben & Jerry's Pint Slices

“You’ve Got Mail.”

Ben & Jerry just hacked the shit out of themselves with the new Ben & Jerry’s Pint Slices.

The new novelties feature popular flavors of Ben & Jerry’s pints and surround them in chocolate. Now, instead of eating an entire pint of ice cream, you can eat one individually wrapped ice cream sandwich after another until the box is empty.

The four flavors of Ben & Jerry’s Pint Slices are Americone Dream, Chocolate Fudge Brownie, Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough, and Vanilla Peanut Butter Cup. There’s some pretty good variety here, and you know what they say… variety is the slice of life.

Yeeeesh, does anyone remember when I relied exclusively on puns for attention? Guess I had one left in me.

… Slice Up Your life.

……by the Slice Girls.

Americone Dream

Ben & Jerry's Pint Slices: Americone Dream

The Americone Dream Pint Slice features vanilla ice cream bars with caramel swirls and fudge covered waffle cone pieces, all covered in a dark chocolatey coating that’s studded with even more waffle cone pieces. By design this is the most complex of the Pint Slices. In reality, it’s the most disappointing.

Don’t get me wrong; the Americone Dream Pint Slice still tastes good. But one of the best parts of the pint version is a rich & plentiful caramel swirl. The pint slice iteration? Barely any caramel.

Now onto the good. The crispy dark chocolate shell is a more refined chocolate than a Klondike’s. Ben & Jerry’s vanilla ice cream? Definitely more flavorful than a Klondike’s. The vanilla is tame but it’s a smooth, sweet, and serviceable officiant to marry all the components. There was plenty of fudge-covered waffle cone pieces throughout the ice cream and in the shell to bring that signature flavor forward.

I just really miss the caramel. This is basically an improved Klondike with waffle cone crunchies.

Rating: 6.5 out of 10

Nutrition Facts: 280 cals, 18g fat, 29g carbohydrates, 3g protein, 25g sugar

Chocolate Fudge Brownie

Ben & Jerry's Pint Slices: Chocolate Fudge Brownie

The Chocolate Fudge Brownie Pint Slice features chocolate ice cream bars with fudge brownies and the dark chocolate shell. On paper, this flavor sounded too one-dimensional to me. Turns out it’s my favorite.

This is the only Pint Slice that uses a chocolate ice cream base. In my opinion, Ben & Jerry’s chocolate is more complex than their vanilla. I thought there was great contrast between the creamy chocolate ice cream, the delicate & darker chocolate shell, and finally… the heavenly sweet brownies from Greyston bakery.

The brownies are fudgey, chewy, decadent, and all other great brownie adjectives that have ever existed. And best of all? My Pint Slice was absolutely loaded with brownies from front to finish.

This is a Triple Chocolate Klondike on crack.

Rating: 8.5 out of 10

Nutrition Facts: 250 cals, 16g fat, 27g carbohydrates, 4g protein, 22g sugar

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough

Ben & Jerry's Pint Slices: Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough

The Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Pint Slice features vanilla ice cream, fudge flakes, the dark chocolatey coating, and gobs of chocolate chip cookie dough. Gobs!

The cookie dough is another mix-in that B&J do expertly. Their texture has the same sugary grit as the stuff you’d make at home from scratch. The chocolate chip angle is driven home even harder with the crispy fudge flakes in the ice cream. Their flavor is even deeper than the dark chocolatey coating – the two didn’t strike me as redundant. The cookie dough pieces and fudge flakes are both large and their frequency high throughout the slice. Having two separate mix-ins ensures an interesting novelty, providing some variety in each bite.

This was probably the truest interpretation of the pint version. Except now it’s wrapped in chocolate!

Rating: 8 out of 10

Nutrition Facts: 290 cals, 18g fat, 31g carbohydrates, 3g protein, 24g sugar

Vanilla Peanut Butter Cup

Ben & Jerry's Pint Slices: Vanilla Peanut Butter Cup

The Vanilla Peanut Butter Cup Pint Slice is vanilla peanut butter ice cream with peanut butter cups and dark chocolatey coating. Did you catch that? The ice cream is a blend of vanilla and PB.

Quite honestly I missed this nuance when I read the label. The ice cream looks like dirty vanilla ice cream more than it does a mixture of the two flavors. It’s surely no peanut butter swirl, but there is just enough PB flavor infused throughout the ice cream to make an impact. Still, I’m pretty disappointed they didn’t go with straight peanut butter ice cream like the pint version of Peanut Butter Cup – especially considering how many Pint Slices already feature vanilla. This would have made it stand out more.

But let’s close with the good. The mini peanut butter cups aren’t very mini at all; they’re sizeable with an exceptional peanut butter bite. They don’t freeze hard, and their flavor will linger while you continue eating the slice. This helps mitigate the lack of peanut butter ice cream. Once again, frequency was good as I had about six full PB cups in addition to several broken ones.

Rating: 7.5 out of 10

Nutrition Facts: 300 cals, 22g fat, 24g carbohydrates, 5g protein, 20g sugar

Ben & Jerry’s Pint Slices may lack some novelty, but they’re actually pretty great novelties. Klondike has been doing this for years with subpar ice cream. Ben & Jerry’s basically amped up the quality of everything and added the mix-ins that they do best. The execution is stellar on 3 of the 4.

Here’s what I particularly enjoy about the Pint Slices launch. Ben & Jerry’s chose some of their pints that I don’t return to often. They may be best-sellers, but they’re rather safe and I seek some specialty when choosing a flavor. I seem to care a lot more about these flavors when they’re wrapped in chocolate. It adds a wrinkle that compelled me to buy and I’m glad I did.

I’m afraid Ben & Jerry have us by the balls on this one.

Life Hack Rating: 9 out of 10
Spice Girl Puns Rating: 6 out of 10
Overall Rating: 7.625 out of 10 (average)

To keep up with all of our products finds and Junk Bantering in real time, follow us on social media at the links below!

Facebook: www.facebook.com/junkbanterblog
Instagram: www.instagram.com/junkbanter
Twitter: www.twitter.com/junkbanter
Snapchat
: junkbanter

To contact us via e-mail, send a message to junkbanter@gmail.com

Facebook Comments

1 Response

  1. Lisa says:

    I bought 2 boxes of the chocolate chip cookie dough pint slices. One box had no cookie dough, at all, and the other box only had 1 piece of cookie dough in one of the slices. I kept reading the label on the package to make sure I didn’t mistakenly buy vanilla ice cream with chocolate coating, because that’s all it was. So unbelievably disappointed.

Leave a Reply